COVID-19 has truly changed the world with its far-reaching social and economic consequences. Many of those in the travel, events and hospitality industries are some of the hardest hit in the current crisis and unfortunately, women appear to be over-represented in these industries and occupations.
New Zealand seems to have had a renewed sense of national pride from a business perspective. There are clear opportunities emerging to take advantages of the changes brought about by Covid-19. The lockdowns have been an opportunity to re-think and re-invent, with new small businesses seemingly on the increase.
Women are bringing a lot to the table and empowering them will be essential to economic recovery and business success in the future. You’ll know a self-made woman when you see one. These women have a fire inside them, she radiates an undeniable energy of confidence and determination. She will be willing to take risks and be persistent. By understanding her niche, she will be passionate in what she does and will find practical ways to successfully go against the grain.
As we emerge from our second lockdown, high on everyone’s agenda is celebrations and coming together. Recently, we have collaborated with a group of businesses for some styled shoots and to showcase their amazing talents, products and services - check out the gallery below to see all the self-made women behind the scenes.
Blush Waterfall backdrop and custom signage by Stellar Backdrops
Gold stand by L&T Events Decorations
Asian inspired snacks from The Hidden Village
Preserved Roses acrylic box as a centerpiece from Forever Rosa
Below is the list of businesses with bucket loads of passion, drive and energy to bring your next event to life:
1. An Events Planner & Stylist can save you time and take away your headaches. Let Sophie from AisleBbeautiful bring your vision to life:
2. Whatever that special moment may be photos and videos are the perfect way to capture those treasured moments. Let Zanthe from Zanthe Vorsatz Photography take care of these for you ensuring you will have high quality memories to share for a
3. On your special day, you want nothing more than your girlfriends-in-crime to look stunning. Let Michelle at Baby’s Breath Bride
smaids help you choose high quality, hand-picked, stylish, versatile yet affordable bridesmaid dresses to ensure your girls slay it on your big day.
4. Let Rumbie from Rucciereign Events or Sharon from Styled by Sharon or Pauline from L&T Events Decorations bring life to your event. Balloons, shots walls and dessert walls are among Rumbie’s specialties, acrylic ghost table and risers are among Sharon’s specialties and Furniture & prop hire are among L&T Events Decoration’s specialties. Check out their pages to spice up your next event:
5. Karina S – Makeup & Hair Artist will ensure that the look you’ve dreamt of can become reality. All eyes will be on you therefore hiring a professional is essential.
6. Looking for a boutique venue to hold your wedding, business, or private events? Talk to Karen at Wintergarden Café/Pavilion to see why this setting is described as an “oasis in the city”. Its natural surroundings – lush vegetation, duck pond a
nd flowerbeds – create the perfect setting for any event.
7. It’s amazing how something as simple as flowers can drastically enhance the look of a room. Talk to Patricia at Emerson Rose Florals to see how you can breathe fresh life into your event.
8. Feed your guests exciting modern Asian street food. Lichelle & Charm from The Hidden Village can sort out your Asian inspired grazing platter for your next event and fuel your guests’ satisfaction!
9. Set the scene with beautiful backdrops, flower walls, decorations and signages. Suzanne from Stellar Backdrops provides her clients a memorable event experience through her unique and stylish designs.
10. Sharing lasting love and joy is what Forever Rosa brings to the table. Thanks to their preserved roses, their memorable gifts can last within 3-5 years - an emerging trend in the NZ floral and events industry. Use FROSA10 to receive 10% off towards your first order.
11. Creating an event planning hub is what Hooley’s all about. Launched in September 2020 and growing every day. When organising your next event check out Hooley and see if they have just the vendor and inspiration you’re after.
By Suzanne Payumo